Bloggers do it .....................





............ at the keyboard

Welcome to my blog - good day to you all

Do come on in and take a walk into the past.

This is a record of family and places from my family tree. Researching my family tree is an ongoing project with lots of brick walls to knock down.

Names included in my family tree are: Allsop(p), Boyes, Crooks, Dobson, Richmond, Wood.

I hope that maybe someone out there is researching the same tree as myself and that we can be of help to each other - so if you recognise anyone/anything please get in touch it would be great to hear from you.

Do also take a look at my others blogs, thanks.


Enjoy.

Click on the photo to go to the St. Hilda Ellerburn website to see the memorial to some of the Dobson family and other photos

My Loyal Followers:

Say No To Word Verification - I do

Say No To Word Verification - I do
I hate having to do this when I visit a blog, I don't use it on my blog anymore.

Thursday 25 June 2009

The Dobson family obelisk in St. Hilda's, Ellerburn Churchyard, North Yorkshire, England


Hi all

This is a photo of an obelisk dedicated to members of the Dobson family by the will of Samuel Dobson who was born in 1808 and may have died around 1879. The obelisk must be between 15 and 20 feet high.

I am researching the Dobson family who lived in and around Pickering, North Yorkshire and I and other researchers are stuck on the said Samuel Dobson, being unable to locate him on the Census in 1871 and unable to find his death registered in England which may be because he emigrated to America at some point.

These are the words on the obelisk in the churchyard of St. Hilda's Ellerburn which we believe was erected by Samuel for his parents:-

To the memory of Robert Dobson who died Sept 8th 1825 aged 48 years, also of his beloved wife Elizabeth who died Nov 23rd 1841 aged 70 years. Erected to their memory by the will of their son Samuel in 1879. In affectionate remembrance of William Dobson, late of Hartoft, who died at Wilton, June 3rd 1887 aged 85 years, also Hannah, wife of the above, who died at Hartoft, June 10th 1867 aged 63 years. To the memory of Jane, wife of William Dobson who died January 7th 1797 aged 44 years, also William Dobson who died Nov 19th 1807 aged 63 years, also two of their children who died in infancy.

Perhaps there is someone out there reading this blog who can help me to find out what happened to dear Samuel. He must have made his fortune somewhere in the world to be able to pay to have this wonderful memorial to his family erected.

No comments: